random thoughts on science & industry

A trip to the office

I had a few folks from work coming into town and a couple of them asked about the car; now that it was running well I thought it’d be a good opportunity to give a few people the rides they’ve asked for and to get some more break-in miles on it. On a very, very cold morning – about 37 degrees (F) – I suited up with my new goggles, skull cap, and wind proof jacket and headed to work. The […]

Progress and a sunny blat

After my last post I figured it was time to bring in reinforcements. A number of Lotus guys recommended I get in touch with Jeremy Buckingham at Buckingham Automotive and have him take a look at the oil pan. The speedo, fuel gauge, and idle issue are all “non critical” in the sense that you can still drive the car, however, having oil in the engine is a bit of a prerequisite and had to get solved. At their suggestion, […]


I happened to read on Daniel French’s blog about his continued problems with his gearbox leak and resulting decision to possibly get rid of the car. I can completely understand how he feels – I’m not very much removed from that myself after last week’s onslaught of issues. And yes, it’s gotten worse for me since the last update. Yesterday, Saturday, October 24th, I decided to spend some time on the car since Michigan wasn’t playing this week. To start with, […]

Caffeine & Exotics Again

Got up early, dressed warm, and backed the car out of the garage. Headlights working like a champ! On the way to Caffeine and Exotics I was shocked at how cold it was in the car. It was about 40 degrees F, and at 40 mph, it was damn cold! I’d worn a good wind proof jacket over my long sleeved shirt and my torso was reasonably warm, as was my head and ears from the skull cap I’d donned, […]


I’ve been putting off the headlights for a while just because I wasn’t planning on driving at night and was preoccupied with getting more serious matters fixed. However, I registered for the Caffeine and Exotics event this coming weekend and was going to need functioning headlights as I’d be required to leave the house before sunrise. That led me to putting some time aside tonight to get the headlights wired up and I’m happy to say it was a lot […]

Changing the handbrake location and fixing the brakes

I’ve been putting off doing anything with the car for a few weeks since I’ve had other plans and some work travel keeping me occupied. Finally, I had a day to myself so decided to investigate the brake noise. As I’ve reported before, I had some odd scraping noise when coming to a stop, almost like the pads weren’t seated properly. That was both a correct and incorrect statement as I’ll explain… First up was to re-route the handbrake cable. Prior, […]

Fixing the oil leak

As I’ve reported before, the car has had an oil leak coming from the oil pan since I ran it the first time. I suspect it’s from not getting a good seal between the pan and the engine block when we first put on the RTV. I also know it’s leaking from the blue drain plug which isn’t that big of a deal; I can easily take the plug out and add some teflon tape. However, when I do that […]